Sunday 5 February 2012

Ethical Principles

As a studying accountant CIMA's code of ethics is pretty much tested in every exam going.  That is how important they feel it is so I decided to apply their code of ethics to my parenting skills!

First up is Integrity.

Having told my children about Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy I am not sure I can claim that my integrity is intact.  The worst lie I have told them probably has to be that the ice cream man only plays his tune when he has run out of ice cream.

Second is Objectivity.

When my children argue they both get told off.  How can I possibly be objective when I have a 6 year old and 3 year old telling me a la Shaggy - It wasn't me?  In order to be objective the facts need to be established.  Working out which one is lying is almost impossible which means I cannot be objective.

Next is Professional Competence and Due Care.

My mothering skills are not bad by any stretch of the imagination but I am not sure I could claim to be entirely competent.  Can any of us?  I have made many mistakes here, some of which I have repeated!  As for the due care bit well, I have sent my son to school ill (In all fairness I thought he was faking) and told my daughter that the imaginary spots on her face were tired spots because she hadn't had enough sleep.  They were not actually imaginary, she did have a rash which I saw as soon as I put my glasses on.

Then we have Professional Behaviour.

This one is laughable!  There is no way I could describe my behaviour as professional at all times when dealing with my children.  In my capacity as a professional mummy I have told them off and made them cry in public and on the odd occasion I have sworn with them in earshot.  Blown it then.

Last we have Confidentiality.

Nothing in our house is confidential anymore.  I have broken every confidence my children have told me by telling their dad!  A house containing two or indeed any small children can never be confidential.  Once they start talking you have had it.

Conclusion:

So it would seem that my capacity as a mother I fail completely to adhere to CIMA's code of ethics and I think it would be fair to say this would apply to any parent or carer.  I am not alone!

Please tell me I am not alone.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your posts-they all make me howl! Don't worry you are not alone at all! I agree none of us can really call ourselves competent and as for the confidential bit-good lord that's out the window well before they speak! Great post! xx
    www.atwentysomethingmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you enjoy it. I sometimes have myself laughing as I type!

      Delete
  2. You're not alone. I'm not lying - you can trust me, I'm a mummy... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - Its a wonder they grow up trusting anyone when their own mother lies to them!

      Delete

Let me have your thoughts!